To enable Self Service for Facebook, it is necessary to configure its settings in both Facebook and RightNow.
To enable RightNow Self Service for Facebook
1. In a web browser, go to http://facebook.com/developers
2. Log in using your Facebook account.
Note: The configuration of your Self Service for Facebook application is tied to the Facebook account used to configure it. For this reason, you should use an account that has been created specifically to administer the application. This can prevent problems if the staff member who configured the account transfers to another position or leaves your organization.
3. If prompted, click the Allow button to allow the Developer application permission to access your Facebook profile information.
Note: The Developer application is the property of Facebook and its use is subject to Facebook’s terms and conditions. Depending on the state of your Facebook account, you may be prompted to confirm your account information in order to add applications.
4. Click “Apps”.
5. Click the “+ Create New App” button.
6. Type a name for your application in the “App Name” field and click the “Continue” button.
7. Enter the confirmation text in the Security Check form and click the “Continue” button. The browser refreshes to display the basic settings of your application.
8. Click to expand the Website with Facebook Login, App on Facebook, and Page Tab sections, and enter the following information in the fields highlighted in the example screenshot below.
Namespace: Type the name for the Facebook canvas page that will display your application. We recommend using the following convention: rncx-<organization_name>
App Domains: Type the domain used in your site URL. This ensures that Facebook can authenticate to related subdomains. The domain used for RightNow CX sites is custhelp.com.
Site URL: Type the base URL for your Oracle RightNow CX site in the following format: http:// < your_rightnow_site >.custhelp.com/
Canvas URL: Type the URL for the Self Service for Facebook application in the following format: http:// < your_rightnow_site >.custhelp.com/cx/facebook/
Secure Canvas URL: Type the secure URL for the Self Service for Facebook application in the following format: https:// < your_rightnow_site >.custhelp.com/cx/facebook/
Page Tab Name: Type a label for the button or tab that customers will click on your Facebook page to display the Self Service for Facebook application.
Tip: Because Facebook displays only the first 16 characters of this value on the app button, we recommend using a simple name such as Customer Care. Since this button appears on your branded Facebook page, it is not necessary to add your brand name to the tab.
Page Tab URL: Type the application home page URL, in the following format: http:// < your_rightnow_site >.custhelp.com/cx/facebook/home/
Secure Page Tab URL: Type the application home page secure URL, in the following format: https:// < your_rightnow_site >.custhelp.com/cx/facebook/home/
Page Tab Width: If using Facebook’s Timeline layout, select Normal (810px). If using Facebook’s legacy layout, select Narrow (520px).
9. Click the “Save Changes” button. Facebook begins propagating your Self Service for Facebook application across its servers and the page refreshes to display a summary of your application settings
Note: To edit these settings in the future, log in to http://www.facebook.com/developers, click “Apps”, click the application name under “Recently Viewed”, and click “Edit App”.
10. Write down the App ID and App Secret values that appear at the top of the page for later reference. You will enter these values in Oracle RightNow CX to authenticate Facebook and provide access to data from the knowledge base and community. Refer to the configuration steps below for how to configure the application in Oracle RightNow CX.
Note: Facebook may take several minutes to complete the processing of your application before it will be available at the canvas URL. However, the application will not be enabled until it has been configured in Oracle RightNow CX. Refer to the following procedure for configuring your application in Oracle RightNow CX.
To configure your application in Oracle RightNow CX
1. Log in to Oracle RightNow CX.
2. Click the “Configuration” button on the navigation pane.
3. Double-click “Configuration Settings” under “Site Configuration”.
4. Customize the following configuration settings.
a) Set FACEBOOK_ENABLED to Yes.
b) Set FACEBOOK_APPLICATION_ID to the App ID value of the Facebook application.
c) Set FACEBOOK_APPLICATION_SECRET to the App Secret value of the Facebook application.
Note: To obtain the App ID and App Secret values, refer to your notes from the end of the previous procedure or log into http://www.facebook.com/developers and click the application name.
5. To enable community features, edit the remaining FACEBOOK_* settings to enable the features you want Self Service for Facebook to provide.
Note: For information about any of these settings, click the setting and refer to the description that appears in the Configuration Editor, and consult the RightNow documentation.
6. Once enabled, the application is available at the canvas page:
To add the application to your organization’s fan page
1. Navigate to the following URL:
where the APP_ID and PAGE_TAB_URL can be found in the Facebook app development settings.
2. Click the “Choose Facebook Pages” button and select the page you want to add your app to.
3. Click the “Add Page Tab” button. The application should now be accessible from your Facebook page.
5 thoughts on “Self Service for Facebook: Configuration”
What if the URL format is not .custhelp.com? If the site URL is http://xyz.rightnowdemo.com, then should the URL format be changed to http://<your_rightnow_site>.rightnowdemo.com/cx/facebook/
Hi Shreyas, it should be http:// “your_rightnow_site” .rightnowdemo.com/cx/facebook/
Yes I tried with the same and it worked!
What if the URL format is not .custhelp.com? If the site URL is http://cx.rightnow.com, then what is the app domain? is it custhelp.com on this or rightnow.com?
“.custhelp.com” is just an example. You have to know your site Name and Domain. If you don’t please ask Oracle Support or your Oracle Account Manager.